Mountain West Conference Release:
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Nevada (26-6, 15-3) is the winner of the 2017-18 Mountain West regular-season title and enters the 2018 MW Men’s Basketball Championship as the No. 1 seed. The Wolf Pack, who claimed the outright regular-season championship in 2016-17 as well, are only the second MW team in league history to win back-to-back outright titles (BYU; 2006-07 and 2007-08).
Boise State will be the 2-seed after a 13-5 Mountain West season. New Mexico finished third in the standings, while Fresno State claims the No. 4 seed for the second consecutive season. The Bulldogs held the tiebreaker over San Diego State due to a 2-0 head-to-head record this season. The Aztecs will be the No. 5 seed and will enter the tournament on a six-game win streak.
Wyoming earns the No. 6 seed, while Utah State gets the seventh seed. The Aggies defeated UNLV twice this season to earn the tiebreaker, placing the Rebels in the No. 8 seed. Air Force (9), Colorado State (10) and San José State (11) round out the bracket.
The 2018 MW Men’s Basketball Championship will be held in Las Vegas at the Thomas & Mack Center, March 7-10. Action gets underway Wednesday, March 7 with three first-round matchups airing exclusively on Facebook. The quarterfinal and semifinal rounds take place on Thursday, Mach 8 and Friday, March 9, respectively, and will be televised on CBS Sports Network. The championship contest will be broadcast on CBS at 3 p.m. PT on Saturday, March 10.
Mountain West Men’s Basketball Championship Notes
• New Mexico’s No. 3 seed is its highest rank since 2014 (2-seed).
• New Mexico and San Diego State have won the most Mountain West tournament titles with four apiece. The Lobos’ titles came in 2005, 2012, 2013 and 2014, while the Aztecs were victorious in 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2011.
• Overall, the MW tournament has produced nine different champions in 18 years, with the current MW membership accounting for 15 of the 18 titles. New Mexico (4), San Diego State (4) and UNLV (3) are the only current MW teams to have won multiple titles while Colorado State, Fresno State, Nevada and Wyoming have each captured one crown.
• A Mountain West regular-season champion or co/tri-champion has advanced to the finals of the tournament 14 times in 18 years, winning the crown eight times. Nevada, New Mexico, San Diego State and UNLV are the only four current MW members to earn a MW regular-season title and tournament crown in the same year. Additionally, the Wolf Pack (2017), Lobos (2013) and Aztecs (2006) are the only teams to capture the tournament title after winning the regular-season crown outright.
• The top two seeds have met nine times in the MW tournament finals, with the No. 2 seed winning eight of nine meetings.
• The No. 1 seeds have only won four Mountain West Championships, and are 4-7 in title games.
• The second seeds have won nine of 18 MW Championships.
MW Basketball Championship Ticket Information
All-session and single-session tickets for the 2018 Mountain West Men’s Basketball Championship are now on sale. Go to TheMW.com/2018 for more information.